The Bargain Queen has moved!

Visit us at www.thebargainqueen.com

Monday, May 15, 2006

Your best-ever bargains

For this week's Carnivale of Couture, The Bargain Queen asked to hear about your best ever bargains. Here are some of the incredible bargains we've heard about already...

Maria Palma found a fantastic Jones New York black, long-sleeved shirt for $9.99.

SlaveToShopping's favourite Talula pink halter top was a mere $4.95!

Style Graduate loves her $10 Rocket dog sandals and $29.99 sheets from Amazon... but rates her education, boyfriend and friendships as even better bargains. (Hear hear!)

The fashion outlaw Linmayu has a swag of great thrift store finds, including a navy-and-white A-line skirt with a chunky chainlink pattern for $1.20, a really neat blue and white vintage dress for $1 and a black Jansport backpack for 90 cents. Quelle bargains!

Designer Ella spotted her almost-perfect wedding dress for $500, but left it on the rack 'til she finds the man to go with it, which got The Bargain Queen making little sympathetic noises out loud in the internet cafe until someone told her to shut up...

Jewellery designer bartered for her whole glass studio including a kiln, which is seriously impressive. The Bargain Queen's going to have to get some bartering tips from you!

Rebecca's fabulous aubergine winter coat was a tiny $40.

Rondi found top-quality Dale of Norway sweaters for only $50 each, down from $400 at a ski sale.

Katie can't nominate a favourite bargain of all time, but her recent favourites are a $3.75 green cardigan and four long-sleeve cotton tops for $35.

Tammy's husband bought her an 18 inch 18kt gold rope-style necklace which cost $15/gram and weighs 20 grams, which is $300 if The Bargain Queen worked it out right. Not bad considering gold prices today!

Phyllis said:
In the 80's I had a long black Anny Taylor trouser skirt that fit me
perfectly and I wore it for about 5 years until it was in tatters. The skirt was
only $60 at the time, and I must have worn is at least 100 times.

Only recently did I find a replacement, which is pattern from HotPatterns,
so now I can make myself replacemnts as each one wears out!

Bead blogger wrote about stunning pearl beads she found for $8 a strand.

And last but not least, Sarah's got a couple of great bargain jackets.


If you'd like to take part in this week's Carnivale of Couture, you're not too late... yet! Either post on your weblog and leave a comment with a link, or tell us about your bargain in the comment if you don't have a blog.

Bring on more bargains!


Filed in:

  Want more? Visit The Bargain Queen's new site.

9 Comments:

  • At 9:31 pm, Blogger Cristina Hanganu-Bresch said…

    Better late than never: here's my contribution--

    http://shoesense.blogspot.com/2006/05/carnivale-bargain-edition.html.

    Yay for bargains!

     
  • At 1:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    a little late too, sorry!

    http://www.shoewawa.com/2006/05/carnivale_of_co.html

     
  • At 6:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I got a pair of apple green Manolo Blahniks on sale at Neiman's and I have worn them so many times, and gotten so many compliments - they were truly worth the price if you calculate price per wearing (while on sale, they still were not cheap)

     
  • At 12:05 pm, Blogger Ivy Frozen said…

    I wanna try!

    http://www2.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426149

     
  • At 12:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here is my link.

    http://www.iwantigot.geekigirl.com/2006/05/15/carnivale-of-couture-your-best-bargain/

     
  • At 1:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh la love.

    I'm impressed, but I can top all of these:

    I bought a 1970's emerald chiffon gown with gold lame embroidery - labeled Miss Dior - for

    $1.

    Are you turning green like my lovely gown?

    Also have bought a 1960's white mink coat for $30, and a vintage white mink Saks cap for $8.

    I love buying fur in LA.

     
  • At 12:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think I can top kristopher dukes. However, I have bought an Emporio Armani dress in black wool for $10. And yesterday, I arrived at my favorite consignment shop as they were clearing out old items, and I got a pair of Adrienne Vittadini heels in black leather for free.

     
  • At 7:40 am, Blogger Kathleen Fasanella said…

    My best bargain was a vintage silk slip made in Hong Kong in the forties. It is all hand sewn, bias seams, french embroidery; it is beyond exquisite. Photos and posting of it are here:
    http://www.fashion-incubator.com/mt/archives/now_this_is_hand_sewing.html

    I paid $1 for it, I bought it from a dry cleaner was closing his business and it had been left by a customer several years before.

    I have another item, absolutely incredible. A fully sequined floor length gown. Please note, the sequins are not plastic -no, they're mother of pearl!!!!! Maybe I'll post that tomorrow. I also got it from the dry cleaner. I think it was $2.

     
  • At 11:54 am, Blogger Style Bard said…

    Non-fashion-wise, I got an amazing vintage coffee table that's huge and in good condition for $1.99 and while I can't imagine what I've spent over the years hauling it around while I move from place to place, the point is that it was a major bargain and I love that damn table.

    But on-topic, I posted here: style-bard.blogspot.com =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

  Want more? Visit The Bargain Queen's new site.