The Bargain Queen has moved!

Visit us at www.thebargainqueen.com

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Renovation adds 'delayed glamour' to life

The Bargain Queen posted a few months ago about her impending renovation, but hasn't talked about it since. It takes a LOT to make her shut up, so let's find out what's going on.

As everyone knows, renovating is very little fun until it's finished. There's not a lot of glamour along the way. Since I'm all about living the most glamorous life my budget allows, living in the mess isn't delivering a great deal of satisfaction. I don't even want to have friends over because our apartment's such a mess, so there's no way I want to post pictures of it online! I knew this would be the case before I started (I lived through two of my mother's renovations) but it's the best option we've got at the moment so we decided to do it.

I've also had moments of sheer desperation about the mess here. I'm normally a neatfreak but we have no storage yet so I can't keep the place tidy. This makes me crazy because losing things brings out the worst in me. First I get angry, then I'm upset, then I have idle paranoid thoughts about neighbours stealing my stinky jeans from the laundry. Yes, I know that's insane. (I guess that's why the therapist I asked about it told me I didn't need her help - apparently having one or two neuroses is normal.) I've lost more things in the two months since we moved than I did in two years in my old place, so I wanted to stay quiet about going slowly insane and find happy things to post about instead.

I realised today that I'm looking at this the wrong way. Living in an untidy, unappealingly decorated place for a while is the price you pay for renovating... along with many thousands of dollars. The upside is that the place will look amazing when it's finished. So this isn't really slovenly living, it's a temporary state on the way to something better. I've decided to call it 'delayed glamour' so I think about it more positively.

Stay tuned to see more of our dump renovation in progress.


  Want more? Visit The Bargain Queen's new site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  Want more? Visit The Bargain Queen's new site.